National Grid
Electric & Gas Service - Additional Information Who do I call for the meter to be set when my work is done?
For electric you should call after your inspection has been submitted and for gas you should call after all gas work is completed, at least one gas appliance is installed and you have the electric service active. The customer must call in the request to 1-800-664-6729.

Do I need to be there when the meter is set?
If this is for a gas meter set, someone must be present. If this is for electric meter set, it is not necessary if the main breakers are OFF.

How deep does the trench have to be?
The trench has to be 24 inches deep for secondary and a minimum of 30 inches deep for primary services. If gas is included in the trench, then 42 inches is required for primary.

Are there any special backfill requirements?
Yes. The customer is responsible for providing backfill material that is free of rocks. Normally sand is used. Also, it is the customer's responsibility to provide a 12" layer of sand padding between the electric and gas lines.

Who is responsible for the trenching and backfilling on a primary trench?
The customer is responsible.

How long will it be before some one can meet with the customer to spot the service?
Our policy is to have someone contact/spot service within 5 business days.

How will I know when the service will be installed?
A letter will be sent to the customer advising them of the scheduling and installation time once required information is received.

Can someone meet me at the sight to look at the job?
Yes, the Planner will be happy to meet with you. Your Consumer Representative will set up the meeting.

What utilities can go in the same trench?
Generally everything except water. For specific situations, please contact your Consumer Representative.

Where can I get a list of Inspectors?
Review our Electrical Inspection Agencies (pdf).

Can I get a spec book mailed to me?
You can download a copy of the Specifications for Electrical Inspectors in the Electric Specifications area.