National Grid
Certain types of Net Metering:
Allocating Net Metering Credits:
Qualifying Facilities:
Project Size and the Net Metering Cap:
Solar Renewable Energy Certificates:


  • What is net metering?
    1. Intermittent generators, such as solar and wind based generators, only produce electricity when their energy source is available (e.g. when the sun shines or the wind blows). With distributed generation (DG), intermittent generators are often connected behind the same utility meter as customer loads (e.g. HVAC, consumer electronics, lights) that can be turned off and on based on the needs of the customer. As a result, on-site electric power production does not necessarily match on-site electric power consumption (also known as the customer 'load' or demand') on a moment-to-moment basis. In Rhode Island, net metering allows these DG customers to financially balance out the total amount of energy imported with the total amount of energy exported over the course of a billing period (typically about a month). Then, the customer is only billed (or credited) for the net difference between these two amounts.

    2. Refer to the Net Metering page for a detailed description.

  • What is the RE Growth program?
    1. Available to eligible renewable distributed generation (DG) projects, the Renewable Energy (RE) Growth Program enables customers to sell their generation output under long-term tariffs at fixed prices. Visit our RE Growth page to learn more.

  • What is ISO-NE?
    1. ISO-NE stands for the Independent System Operator. It is responsible for managing the bulk power generation and transmission systems in New England. and transmission systems in New England.

  • What types of generating facilities can be used for net metering?
    1. Refer to R.I.G.L. Chapter 39-26-5 for official requirements

  • My city or town gets electricity from a Municipality-Owned and Operated Electric Company. Could I Net Meter?
    1. This depends on whether or not your city or town follows the Net Metering rules that apply to Investor Owned Utilities.

    2. Please consult with your Local Electric Distribution Company.
      (Note: Net Metering Services will be administered through the Local Electric Distribution Company.)

  • Who is the Host Customer?
    1. The Host Customer is the account holder (the name on the electric bill). A Host Customer may or may not own the generating facilities served by their meter. Host Customers generate electricity on the Customer side of the meter.

  • What happens if I have a system behind my meter (i.e. I am the Host Customer) and I enter into a power purchase agreement with a third party?
    1. National Grid is not responsible for the terms and conditions of any agreement between the Host Customer and the third party system owner. This is not to be confused be confused with a PPA with National Grid through a (wholesale) P-rate, or with credit allocation (Schedule B).

    2. For Simplified Applications, the Host Customer must fill out, sign, and submit an Exhibit H along with the remainder of the Interconnection Application documents. The sections that refer to the "Customer" in the Exhibit H should include information about the Host Customer (the legal entity listed on the electric utility bill). The sections that refer to the "Interconnecting Customer" in the Exhibit H should include information about the third party system owner.

    3. For Expedited or Standard Applications, National Grid will provide the Exhibit H as an attachment to the Interconnection Service Agreement. However, the Interconnecting Customer (i.e. third party system owner) must confirm that they have site control on the Interconnection Application and must provide contact information for the Host Customer on the Legal Information Document.

      Please see National Grid's Wholesale Energy Procurements website if you are interested in a PPA.

  • What if I am looking to sell my power via a transmission interconnection?
    1. If you wish to pursue a transmission interconnection as a Qualifying Facility (the local retail company would purchase 100% of output) then you would follow a state jurisdictional process which is administered by the (Distributed Generation) team.

    2. However, if you wish to sell the output to the market you would be required to interconnect under ISO-New England's Schedule 23 Tariff (if size is < 20 MW) which can be found at Documents and directions for submitting the interconnection application under Schedule 23 can be found at process is led by ISO New England and would consist of an initial scoping meeting to discuss regional/local planning variables, an overview of the proposed project, and next steps for the System Impact study phase.

      Without understanding the size of your project and whether there are any significant system impacts, a connection to National Grid's 115 kV (transmission) system would typically consist of tap line facility to a transmission substation consisting of a three-breaker ring bus, which would require about an acre of property adjacent to the Right of Way. This connection is estimated around $3-5 million dollars (depending on site location, etc), but the estimates would tighten during the study phase.

  • What if I have an inquiry on a site location?
    1. To discover the electric service characteristics of a proposed site location, customers must submit an optional Pre-Application Report Request Form to

  • If I want to apply for net metering, where do I begin the process?
    1. To apply for interconnection and net metering, please follow the Interconnection Process which includes completing a Schedule B for allocation of net metering credits.

    2. Application for community Net Metering
  • Could I set up a solar system and use the electricity to power a different location?
    1. No.

  • Who pays for the revenue meter?
    1. As stated in section 8.1 of the interconnection Tariff, the Company shall own the meter and the Interconnecting Customer shall pay the Company a monthly charge to cover taxes, meter maintenance, incremental reading and billing costs, the allowable return on the invoice cost of the meter and the depreciation of the meter.

  • Does my project need a phone line connected to the utility meter?
    1. Only if the project is above 60 kW and exporting power will the customer be required to provide a phone.

  • When am I eligible to receive net metering credits?
    1. You are eligible after:

      1) Your standard meter has been replaced with a bi-directional meter (i.e. net meter); and

      2) You have received the formal "Authorization to Interconnect" e-mail or letter from National Grid.

Certain types of Net Metering:
  • What is an Independent Power Producer (IPP) and standalone generation?
    1. For the utility company, a stand-alone generating system is a grid-connected generating system that does not have any (non-parasitic) load behind the same meter. This is not to be confused with an isolated (or backup) generating system, which does not operate in parallel with the utility grid.

    2. Stand-alone generating systems are referred to as Independent Power Producers (IPP) (i.e. a generating system that uses little or no power and was constructed solely for the purpose of generating electricity).

Allocating Net Metering Credits:
  • Is it a requirement to fill out Schedule B (Net Metering Allocation form)?
    1. Schedule B is only required for customers who want net metering.

    2. Schedule B part C is an additional form required for customers participating in Community Net Metering Pilot Program

  • What is Exhibit H?
    1. The Exhibit H is an agreement between National Grid and the Host Customer (the named legal entity on the electric billing account) to interconnect a third-party generation unit behind the Host Customer's meter.

    2. The Exhibit H must be completed when the retail customer is not the owner and operator of the proposed generation system. (For simplified applications, this must be submitted with the initial application. For all other applicants, the Exhibit H will be included in the Interconnection Service Agreement.)

  • As the Host Customer, where can I find the net metering credits on my bill?
    1. Customers that net export power over the billing period will notice the following differences on their bill:

      1) The total usage will appear as a negative number.

      2) Net Metering Credit will be a line item in the Delivery section of the bill.

    2. If the Net Metering Credit exceeds the total of the other charges on the bill, the "Current Charges" will be negative.

    3. If the Net Metering Credit does not exceed the total of the other charges, then the "Current Charges" will be positive.

  • Will all credits on my account be refunded to me via check if at some future time, while under the Interconnection Service Agreement, I sell my property?
    1. Excess Net Metering Credits are forfeited.

  • Could I allocate to a National Grid Gas account?
    1. No. Allocation of credits is not allowed to gas accounts per the RI PUC No. 2075 Net Metering Provision. Currently, there is no mechanism in the tariff.

Qualifying Facilities:
  • What is a Qualifying Facility?
    1. A Qualifying Facility is a renewable energy generating facility that receives a special rate and regulatory treatment. They can either be a small power production facility (less than or equal to 80 MW) or a cogeneration facility (produces electricity and heat).

  • What is the Qualifying Facility Power Purchase "Rate P" ?
    1. It is a rate specific to Qualifying Facilities determined by ISO-NE.

  • How is output metered and purchased at a Qualifying Facility?
    1. QFs have their output metered hourly and this energy is purchased at hourly rates equal to the wholesale payments received by National Grid from ISO-NE. These rates are generally significantly lower than retail rates. Each month the customer will receive a check from National Grid.

Project Size and the Net Metering Cap:
  • What is the maximum size for a project?
    1. Net Metering projects are limited to an aggregate generating capacity of 10MW.

  • Is there a Net Metering "Cap"?
    1. There is no net metering cap for customers within National Grid's Rhode Island service territory.

Solar Renewable Energy Certificates:
  • What is a SREC?
    1. An SREC is a Solar Renewable Energy Certificate, which represents the renewable and/or environmental attributes associated with electricity that is produced by solar generators. An SREC is created for every megawatt-hour of solar electricity created. In states with SREC legislation, the Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS) mandates that distribution companies buy a certain quantity of SRECs each year.

    2. Rhode Island does not have an SREC market. However, it does have a REC market. A Renewable Energy Certificate (REC) is similar to an SREC, but it is generally associated with electricity produced by non-solar renewable technologies, such as wind turbines or anaerobic digesters.

  • If the distribution company is buying power, is it also entitled to the system's RECs for no extra charge?
    1. Under the Rhode Island net metering program, National Grid is not entitled to the system's RECs. However, under the terms of the RE Growth program, National Grid will receive title to the system's RECs.

  • I'm moving into a house with a self-generation system already installed. What do I need to do to benefit from Net Metering?
    1. If you are the new homeowner you would need to agree to the terms and conditions set forth in the original Interconnection Service Agreement (ISA) - or the terms and conditions of the Simplified Application.

    2. You also need to:

      1) Understand how your generation system works.

      2) If possible, ensure that the transfer of ownership is appropriately documented during the sale of the house. (Verify the status of any third party ownership of the generation system.)

      3) Contact National Grid to request an updated Interconnection Service Agreement (ISA).

  • Where can I find my account number and meter number?
    1. This information can be found at the top of your electricity bill.

  • I installed a solar system, why is my bill so high?
    1. This depends on a number of factors. If the weather is not favorable to your generating facility (eg.: little sun for solar systems and insufficient wind for turbines), then your system will not be supplying power to its full potential. Similarly, clouds that block the sun will reduce the power output from solar panels. Choosing the right location for your generating facility is critical.

  • Are there any tax credits or rebates for installing a renewable-energy system?
    1. A comprehensive list of tax credits, rebates, incentives and more can be found at

  • Where can I find a Form W-9 for National Grid?
    1. Our W-9 forms can be found at /shortcut_w9.asp

  • Still have questions?
    1. Email: